Elation Lighting Art IO
The ART IO is an expansion module in the ART SSC product family of solid-state lighting controllers. It offers interfacing to digital and analog inputs and digital outputs and supports various protocols like DMX, RS-232, OSC, UDP and Art-Net.
The ART IO features 8 inputs that can be individually configured as digital or analog input. When a digital input is set, it allows for an easy connection with, for example, physical switches and sensors. When set to analog, it supports 0-10V and 1-10V inputs… ideal for connecting to household dimmers. The 8 outputs on the ART IO are relay-switched and can handle 1 Amp. The digital outputs can be used to switch various other devices like A/V equipment, motorized blinds or heavy-duty relays. ??
Additionally, the ART IO is fitted with a DMX-512 port that can be configured as an input or output, and a bi-directional RS-232 port. Through its network port, the ART IO also supports OSC, UDP and Art-Net protocols that can be used for triggering and conversion. The compact and versatile ART IO is the ideal expansion for the ART SSC in projects that demand more inputs and outputs. Furthermore, ART IO is equally well suited for standalone in/out interfacing or working together with any third-party show control system.
ART IO Features:
• 8 inputs, switch-able between digital or analog
• 8 output, relay-switched
• Optically isolated DMX-512 port, switch-able between input and output
• RS-232 port
• Ethernet port with support of Art-Net, OSC & UDP
• eTouch compatible
• Desktop or DIN Rail mounted
• Kensington lock
ART IO Markets:
• Permanent Installations
• Architectural Lighting
• Art Installations
• Bars, Clubs and Restaurants
• Interactive Media
• Theme Parks
• The device can be placed desktop or it can be DIN rail mounted
• The device is prepared for DIN Rail mounting by using the 'DIN rail holder TSH 35' from Bopla
(Product no. 22035000).
• This adapter is – amongst others – available from:
Farnell / Newark (order code 4189991)?
Conrad (order code 539775 – 89)?
Distrelec (order code 300060)
• You can secure your device by using a Kensington style laptop lock.
• The Art IO requires a DC power supply between 9 and 12 Volts with a minimum of 500mA.
• The 2.1 mm DC is center-positive.
• Furthermore, the Art IO is Power-over-Ethernet (POE) enabled. It requires POE Class I.
Art IO Web-Interface
The Art IO Web-Interface has the following pages:
This page displays a status overview of all main properties and shows the values of the GPI and
The Show Control page is very similar to the Show Control page in the Art SSC. Please note that some sources are only available in the Art SSC and not in the Art IO (e.g. Scheduler, Time-code, Recorder). The Show Control page is prepared with templates of operations that are very typical usage of the Art IO. The following tables describes those templates.
• Art-Net DMX DMX Art-Net DMX Outputs
• Art-Net Outputs Inputs DMX
• Inputs Art-Net Inputs OSC
• OSC Outputs Demo Production Test
• Converts incoming Art-Net to DMX. The DMX port needs to be set to output. Converts incoming
• DMX to Art-Net. The DMX port needs to be set to input.
• Control the relays by DMX channel 1 through 8. Values below 50% switch the relay o>, values
above 50% will switch it on. The DMX port needs to be set to input.
• Control the GPOs by incoming Art-Net channel 1 through 8. Values below 50% switch the relay o>, values above 50% will switch it on. The DMX port needs to be set to input.
• Convert the state of the GPI to DMX channels 1 through 8. When a GPI is to digital the DMX channel will switch between value 0 and 255, when set to analogue the channel will range between 0 and 255. The DMX port needs to be set to output.
• Convert the state of the GPI to Art-Net channels 1 through 8. When a GPI is to digital the Art-Net channel will switch between value 0 and 255, when set to analogue the channel will range between 0 and 255.
• Convert the state of the GPI to OSC. The OSC URI is /gpiX, where X is the GPI port number.
• Control the GPOs by incoming OSC messages. The OSC URI is /gpoX, where X is the GPO port number. This demonstrates the capability of the Art IO by connecting the GPI's and GPO's to various protocols like DMX, OSC and eTouch.
• This template is used for testing the device during the production process.
This page allows you to inspect the incoming and outgoing data.
This page contains all the user settings.
You can change the Art IO's label. This label can be used to distinguish the unit in a set-up with multiple devices. The 'Blink' check-box will flash the device's LED to help to identify it amongst multiple devices.
Choose here to use the DMX port either as input or as output.
The Art-Net feature in the Art IO supports 1 universes out and 1 universes in. You can map each of those universes to any of the 256 available universes in the Art-Net protocol. This number is zero-based, ranging from 0 up to and including 255. The broadcast messages sent out by Art-Net do put a certain load on the network, therefore it is recommended to disable Art-Net when not in use. Art-Net transmission can be switched on or o> by the 'Enabled' check-box.
The Art IO has one DMX port which can be set either as input or as output. The DMX signals are available on the screw terminals. You can create an adapter cable for connecting to XLR connectors using the pin-out below.
The 8 General Purpose Outputs (GPO) on the Art IO are relay-switched and can handle 3 Amp. The digital outputs can be used to switched various other devices like A/V equipment, blinds or heavy-duty relays.
The Art IO is fitted with a bi-directional RS-232 communication port. This allows the Art IO to be triggered by ASCII strings received on the RS-232 port and it can send out ASCII strings in response to an event.
• eTouch is a software application that can trigger events within the device
• eTouch is equipped with a user interface especially designed for use with Touch Screens
• This makes it an ideal companion to the device when applied in a fixed installation, using
eTouch to control recordings and select cues, or any other feature in the Art SSC or Art IO.
• eTouch is designed to have no editing capability, making it a fool-proof interface that can safely be presented to non-lighting technicians.
In accordance with California's Prop 65 Compliance Law, Regulation Requires us to Inform California Customers of the Following Warnings for All Products:
*Warning:* This product can expose you to chemicals including wood dust, which is known in the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, please go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
*Warning:* This product can expose you to chemicals including Di-isodecyl phthalate, which is known in the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, please go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov